This is the top 25. The golden 25. Please, don't play them in the order in which they appear. I do entire 3 hour dance parties around Motown, British Invasion, Beach/Car Music, and Funk/Soul. The tracks below are plucked from those categories.
- Twist & Shout...the Beatles version
- Rock & Roll Music - Beatles version, not Chuck Berry's , or better yet, Long Tall Sally..Beatles, not Little Richard's
- Surfin' USA - Beach Boys (Brian Wilson stole this song virtually note-for-note from Chuck Berry's "Sweet Little Sixteen")
- Help Me Rhonda - Beach Boys (The OTHER sure-thing dance tune from the Beach Boys)
- You Really Got Me - The Kinks
- I Want You Back - The Jackson 5
- Do You Love Me - The Contours version, not the Dave Clark Five's
- Jackie Wilson - Baby Work Out
- What is Hip - Tower of Power (or TOP's Down to the Nightclub)
- The Twist - Chubby Checker
- Sway - No, not Dean...the Michael Buble version. Really. No, really. Women love this song.
- Jungle Boogie (or Hollywood Swingin') - Kool & The Gang
- Don't Let the Sun Catch You Cryin' - Gerry and the Pacemakers
- Let's Stay Together - Al Green
- Anything by the Righteous Brothers - I mean ANYTHING, including Little Latin Lupe Lu
- At Last - Etta James
- Because - Dave Clark Five (Easy to dance to)
- The Love You Save - Jackson 5 (or ABC...they are both Awesome)
- Thank You - Sly & the Family Stone (way too funky for sober suburban white folk)
- Play That Funky Music White Boy - Wild Cherry (Play this back-to-back with Thank You!)
- I Can't get Next to You - The Temptations (tied with My Girl by the Temptations)
- Devil With A Blue Dress - Mitch Ryder (tied with Tommy James "Hanky Panky")
- Brown Sugar - Rolling Stones
- Heat Wave - Martha & the Vandellas
- Dirty Water - The Standells (...cuz I love that dirty water! The best kind of nostalgia...the kind you can dance to!)
I swear, if you play these in the order they are listed...the floor will only be populated by drunks. It's like cooking...it isn't the ingredients...it's the way you combine them. And when. And that's why you hire me! ha!
In the last section I'll show you the later boomer era hits from my playlists.